HHUGS are Hiring - Operations Director
POSITION TITLE: Operations Director
REPORTS TO: Management Board
LOCATION: Brixton, London
HOURS: Full time
SALARY: Very Competitive; negotiable, dependent on experience.
DEADLINE: Sunday 16th April, 11.59pm
Helping Households Under Great Stress (HHUGS) is the only UK registered charity of its kind providing assistance to Muslim households impacted by counter-terrorism, national security and extremism-related laws, policies and procedures, in the UK and abroad, through a nationwide network of dedicated volunteers. Since its inception in 2004, HHUGS has been a beacon of light to families struggling to survive by providing the crucial financial, emotional support, and practical skills necessary to empower these hidden victims to re-emerge as confident individuals and full members of society.
The Operations Director will be responsible for the delivery of the charity’s goals and the achievement of its strategic objectives, working closely with the Board for direction, guidance and oversight of HHUGS. S/he will be responsible for the effective management of the charity’s staff, resources and projects to ensure the effective and smooth running of its day-to-day operations. S/he will be responsible for serving the Board and reporting on performance to it.
With guidance and supervision from the Board, the incumbent will perform the following main functions:
- Management of HHUGS for the delivery of the charity’s operational goals and achievement of its strategic objectives.
- Develop an effective and sustainable organisational strategy with the board, distilling into individual work plans and projects with staff and volunteers.
- Managing staff and key volunteers to ensure the timely delivery of strategic projects and measurable outcomes and impacts for the charity within budget.
- Responsible for the implementation of the charity’s projects and activities which contribute to the effective delivery of its services.
Human Resource Management
- Manage and supervise of the staff assigned to the day-to-day operations of the charity to ensure effective performance.
- Provide necessary levels of leadership, direction, support and advice to staff to ensure coordination and effective team work within the charity.
- Responsible for recruiting, selecting, inducting, training and evaluating staff, maintaining a safe and secure work environment, developing personal growth opportunities. Accomplishes staff results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising tasks/job results; coaching, counselling and disciplining employees.
- Management of staff leave, absence, sickness and maintenance of personnel file.
- Manage the continuous professional development of staff through the provision of training initiatives and assist in the production of training materials.
- Manage investigations, disciplinary and grievance matters in conjunction with the Management Board.
- Implement and maintain (and, where required, assist in the development of) HR policies and procedures to ensure effective, fair and consistent management of staff throughout charity.
- Provide support to staff on HR issues, as and when required, and ensure they are aware of the policies and procedures, and able to operate them effectively.
- Responsible and accountable for the collection and analysis of performance data.
- Responsible for organising and chairing any staff meetings.
- Oversees the charity’s volunteer structure and the development of the volunteer programme, its policies, procedures and related training.
- Promoting volunteering through recruitment and publicity strategies and campaigns; ensuring that appropriate volunteering opportunities and role descriptions are generated by staff, based on the needs of the charity
- Ensuring volunteers receive sufficient induction, training and support from staff, and attending meetings with core regional volunteer co-ordinators where required.
- Report to the Board of Trustees regularly on the charity’s performance.
- Manage relations with external contractors to ensure effective delivery of beneficiary, IT, Marketing and professional services.
- Manage all functional departments, projects, administrative activities and functions; initiating, coordinating, and implementing systems, policies and procedures, ensuring maximum efficiency.
- Contribute to the charity’s strategic plan with the Board, and distilling into individual work plans and projects with staff and volunteers.
- Review and, where appropriate, improve existing procedures and systems for the effective management of the charity.
- Responsible for the proper auditing and reporting of all programs, campaigns and projects and for ensuring accurate and up to date records are maintained of work undertaken
- Responsible for maintaining and developing systems of monitoring that can capture and analyse performance data to track progress of projects
- Responsible for developing and delivering the fundraising strategy with the Fundraising Manager, (or in their absence, the Management Board); overseeing all fundraising activity and functions, campaign generation and execution, ensuring maximum efficiency; recruiting a Fundraising Manager as appropriate.
- Identify partners and opportunities for grants and creating proposals and business plans to secure public and private funding.
- Ensure the effective management and growth of the charity’s volunteer structure to deliver fundraising campaigns and beneficiary services.
- Develop and implement the charity's Marketing and Communications strategy, inclusive of digital media, communications with its donor and supporter base, and the production of promotional materials for the charity.
- Oversee the development, delivery and evaluation of beneficiary services for families, youth, former detainees, in conjunction with the Beneficiary Support Manager.
- Implement (and, where necessary, design) procedures for the smooth running of the office.
- Accountable for ensuring office filing systems, both paper and electronic, personnel records, databases and all other filing related to the general running of the office, are accurately maintained by staff and up to date records are maintained of work undertaken.
- Oversee the purchase, installation and maintenance of any telephone equipment; managing contract with HHUGS’ telecommunications company; ensuring smooth functioning and cost efficiency of HHUGS’s telephone system.
- Manage office space planning.
- Ensure good maintenance of office financial records, ensuring accurate expenses claims forms, donation processing and the accurate capture and record of Gift Aid data for the Finance Department.
- Responsible for monitoring and ensuring the maintenance of stationery supplies and office provisions, developing procedures, controlling stock, overseeing negotiations with suppliers, including providers of telecommunications, stationery, business cards, leaflets, etc.
- Ensuring that all confidentiality and data protection obligations are complied with by both systems, staff and volunteers
- Oversee the recording of all incoming post and phone systems
- Responsible for management, organisation and training of the Donor CRM system
- Oversee existing health and safety procedures, ensuring their implementation and maintaining a safe and secure work environment for staff and volunteers, at all times having a duty of care to them.
- Supervise work experience placements and internships.
Networking and Partnerships
- Assist in actively promoting the services of the charity through appropriate channels and platforms; upholding and promoting the charity’s values and ethos.
- Representing HHUGS at conferences, seminars and relevant events.
- Share responsibility for effective communication to stakeholders, donors, partner organizations, media, and external audiences, and ensure that relevant agencies are aware of the charity, have the necessary materials and literature.
- Build and cultivate relations, in conjunction with the board, with stakeholders and partners, on a regional and national level, to further the goals of the charity
- Seek out and participate in forums which are relevant to the work and goals of the charity when required.
- Remain up to date on opportunities that may arise as relevant to the charity – including networking and knowledge-sharing.
- Degree in an appropriate field
- Proven record of accomplishment in team management with a minimum of 3 years' experience
- Proven record of accomplishment of project management with a minimum of 3 years' experience
- In a related post - Staff, Volunteer and Operational Management
- Development, management and delivery of projects and campaigns
- Working within the charity sector, with Muslim communities and organizations
Skills and Competencies
- Strong project planning, and time management skills
· Excellent organisational skills when managing multiple conflicting priorities in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to work to tight deadlines.
· Flexible in a multi-task environment and adaptableto changing deadlines and priorities.
- Political sensitivity and ability to apply good judgment in decision making
- Excellent presentation and persuasion skills, both spoken and written
- Computer literate including Word, Excel and PowerPoint (or equivalents)
· Ability to work independently and on their own initiative, with a high level of efficiency and with minimal supervision
· Highly self-motivated and committed, with an ability to motivate others
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Strategic thinker and creative, with the ability to spot opportunities
- Confident and dynamic, with the ability to motivate people
· A proactive networker, with excellent relationship-building and negotiation skills, who can bring energy to their work
· Professional, friendly and approachable manner
- Knowledge and interest in human rights and justice issues (D)
- Willingness to do own administrative tasks
- Willingness and ability travel within the UK, and undertake out of office hours, including at evenings and weekends, where necessary
- Share a deep passion and commitment for the values and mission of ethos and objectives of HHUGS
- Broad knowledge, empathy and understanding of Islamic principles
- Committed to continuous professional development and willing to undertake further skills training as appropriate
TERMS & CONDITIONS
The post holder must be available for the core hours of 9am-5pm weekdays from our Brixton office. Salary is negotiable and very competitive, based on experience, with holiday allowance of 30 days per annum.
The post holder must be legally entitled to work in the UK, with no contra-indications in personal background or criminal record indicating the unsuitability to work with children, youth, vulnerable clients and finance. A DBS check may be required as appropriate.
The post holder will undertake any other duties of a similar nature, which are commensurate with the grade and seniority of the post.
HOW TO APPLY
DEADLINE: Sunday 16th April, 2017, 11.59pm.
Interviews will be held as applications are received, starting as soon as possible.